Robin L. Long
- Long, 68, lives in Hampton Bays. She is a real estate attorney with a practice in Southampton Village.
- She has served on the town planning board since 2016. From 2012 to 2015 she served on the Suffolk County Board of Ethics. Prior to that she was a campaign manager for Bridget Fleming and other local Democrat candidates. She served as a mayoral aide to three New York City mayors in the 1970s.
- She has a bachelor’s degree in political science from York College and a law degree from St. John’s University.
- Long said Southampton is at a crossroads right now, after many moved there from New York City during the COVID-19 pandemic. The town is becoming a full-time community and long-term infrastructure and other planning needs to be examined, she said.
- She said attitudes about affordable housing have to change, in part due to the town no longer being just a second home community. She said there needs to be more balance between development, community and protecting the environment and people can’t be afraid of density. She said the town should look towards other states where commercial areas are being rehabilitated with apartments on the second floor.
- She would like to reinforce and build on relationships with federal and county environmental agencies in order to get the funding and programs needed to protect the environment. She said she would like to get builders and those looking to preserve and protect the environment to work together rather than being adversaries.