John P. Whelan
- Whelan, 64, of Springs, has been the chairman of East Hampton Town’s Zoning Board of Appeals since 2014 and is a project manager at Stelle Lomont Rouhani Architects in Bridgehampton.
- He was a town planner from 2003 to 2004 and served on the Suffolk County Planning Commission from 2012-2014. He ran for town board unsuccessfully in 2009.
- He earned a bachelor’s degree in fine arts and French literature from St. John’s University and a master’s degree in architecture from Virginia Tech.
- Whelan said he wants to see more affordable housing. He believes green design and construction considerations should be incorporated into those projects as well as "every town building."
- He’s in favor of environmental programs and initiatives that promote innovative wastewater treatment and augment solar and wind energy on the East End.
- He supports ideas and ways to create local jobs, especially green jobs, to keep residents in town. He would also like to work on boosting public transportation and cutting traffic.