Watch our video on East End election issues
BENJAMIN I. DYETT JR.
- Dyett, 62, of Shelter Island, is making his first bid for elected office. He is running on a platform of A Better Island for All.
- He earned a bachelor’s in history from Boston University and his JD from New York University School of Law.
- He is an entrepreneur with experience in real estate and corporate law and is the founder of a shared workspace company. He also once owned a consulting firm, is a co-founder and board member of Sylvester Manor and is a board member of the Packer Collegiate Institute in Brooklyn and the Shelter Island Yacht Club.
- Dyett cited the “great need” for affordable housing and said he would support building on town-owned land.
- He said he would support a comprehensive environmental study of the island’s water supply and efforts to ensure its wetlands are properly protected.
- He said a central wastewater system is not the proper answer to the island’s septic system woes and that the town could convert municipal buildings’ septic systems and be more proactive about having homeowners upgrade to I/A OWTS.