Watch our video on East End election issues
SCOTT W. SMITH
- Smith, 53, lives in East Hampton.
- He is seeking his first term on the town council and volunteers for the East Hampton Fire Department.
- He attended the University of Montana but did not graduate, and spent a decade working on a cattle ranch. He now works in kitchen design and cabinetry as the owner of Smith River Kitchens.
- Smith said he’s running to “preserve the Bonac way of life,” through preserving traditions and natural resources, like clean water. “I’m [running] because I have kids in the community, and I want my kids to stay in the community,” he said.
- He said he supports keeping the East Hampton Airport open and said he’d advocate for “solutions, not litigation” on the issue.
- Other key priorities include increasing transparency, working for residents and focusing on fiscal responsibility. He said he supports increasing wages for town employees, who he referred to as overworked and underpaid, to increase pride in the community.