- Strauss, 60, of Mineola, is vice president of corporate security for Northwell Health, where his duties include the supervision of all health system investigations and enforcing security policies.
- He is a retired NYPD detective in the Emergency Service Unit. On Sept. 11, 2001, he was part of a team that helped rescue a pair of Port Authority police officers trapped in the rubble at Ground Zero.
- He recently completed his fourth term as mayor of the Village of Mineola and is a 42-year member of the Mineola Volunteer Fire Department.
- Strauss, seeking the seat being vacated by Richard Nicolello, the legislature's presiding officer, said he wants to focus on quality-of-life crimes in the district.
- Similar to the entire slate of Republican candidates, he said he wants to hold the line on property taxes in Nassau County.
- Strauss, who as mayor oversaw park renovations and improvements to the village’s business district and downtown, said he wants to preserve the community’s suburban way of life.