Watch our video on Town of Riverhead election issues
RENE N. SUPRINA
- Suprina, 61, of Riverhead, is making her first bid for office.
- She retired in June after 39 years as a music educator, most recently as the fine arts coordinator for Southold Union Free School District. She earned a bachelor’s in music education from SUNY Potsdam and earned master’s in fine arts and school district leadership from Stony Brook.
- She is active in music education groups and is president of the No Doubt World Famous Monday Night Band in Riverhead, a community band; president of the Suffolk County Music Educators Association; and vice president of the North Shore Community Band.
- Suprina said she opposes the Enterprise Park at Calverton (EPCAL) deal that is pending before the town’s Industrial Development Agency, citing concerns about increased traffic, environmental impacts and airport noise.
- She supports smart growth to continue revitalizing downtown and said she would work to preserve the agricultural feel of Riverhead.
- She would work to improve public safety efforts, with better lighting downtown and in the new Town Square area, and add more walking patrols so people feel safe.