MARGARET A. LARSEN
- Larsen, 38, of Shelter Island, is making her first bid for elected office. She works for Shelter Island Sand, Gravel and Contracting where she manages installations of nitrogen-reducing septic systems and I/A systems.
- She earned a bachelor's degree in human development and sociology from Boston College and a master's in speech pathology from Old Dominion University.
- She is a member of the Planning Board, the town's Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee and the Water Quality Improvement Advisory Board.
- Larsen said nitrate pollution and seawater incursion into some Shelter Island water systems is a problem and the town needs a comprehensive management plan to protect the water supply and also increase the amount of groundwater recharge to the aquifer.
- Housing to keep young families on the island is important. "An affordable housing plan is important to the survival of the island as we see it now," she said.
- The town needs to update its website, making it more easy to use, she said. The influx of additional residents during the pandemic showed the need to find better ways to inform the community of what's happening, she said, and to keep digitizing more town systems.