Watch our video on Town of Hempstead election issues
LAURA A. RYDER
- Ryder, 55, of Lynbrook, is a paralegal with her family’s law firm, Ledwith & Atkinson. She was appointed to the town council in March for the seat vacated by Rep. Anthony D’Esposito. She is making her first run for the board to complete D’Esposito’s term.
- She was previously a trustee on the Lynbrook Village Board, serving two years of a four-year term before her appointment to the town council.
- She graduated from Briarcliffe College.
- Ryder said she supports efforts to reduce taxes for town residents, saying the Republican majority on the town council was projecting to freeze taxes without cutting services to residents.
- She said she is concerned with “quality-of-life issues,” pointing to the creation of the town’s Quality of Life Task Force, and working with Nassau County police to address crime and safety concerns.
- She said she opposes Gov. Kathy Hochul’s plan to increase housing by imposing development goals on localities.