Watch our video on Town of Brookhaven election issues
KERRY S. SPOONER
- Spooner, 49, of Calverton is founder of Sound Justice Initiative, a nonprofit dedicated to providing educational opportunities for individuals in Suffolk County jails and upon their release.
- She has a doctorate degree and has taught in higher education for 20 years. Spooner was previously with the Suffolk County Department of Labor, Licensing & Consumer Affairs in the Suffolk Works Employment Program, where she worked to decrease unemployment.
- She volunteered for many years with the largest regional public observatory, serving as finance chair and board member.
- Spooner said increased funding for college is a priority and that she will engage with local and state representatives to raise awareness.
- She said she plans to set up a small office in one of the most underserved areas of the district and primarily work from there to ensure those communities’ concerns are not overlooked.
- She said she is concerned about accountability and transparency, noting that the state Comptroller’s 2023 report showed that Brookhaven’s local development board has serious shortcomings.