JOSEPH A. BAKER
- Baker, 74, of Merrick, is a retired state court officer who had owned several small businesses.
- He is the former president of the South Merrick Community Civic Association and a board member of the Merrick Chamber of Commerce.
- He served as co-chair of the Bellmore/Merrick Community Reconstruction Committee after Superstorm Sandy as part of NY Rising.
- Baker wants to hold the line on taxes by streamlining operations and implementing intergovernmental cooperation.
- He would ensure public safety, fight hate crime and support the police and firefighters. He would work with the police and local religious and community leaders to target hate crimes. He pledges to bolster neighborhood watch groups to protect against quality-of-life crimes.
- He supports preserving the “suburban character of our communities” and said he’s against Gov. Kathy Hochul’s plan for high-density housing in residential areas.