JAMES F. MAZZARELLA
- Mazzarella, 55, of Moriches, won the office after a special election in May, defeating Democratic contender Kate Browning. He is also running on the Conservative party line.
- He currently serves as secretary treasurer of Local 342 Long Island Public Service Employees.
- He previously served on the Center Moriches Library board for 10 years, including five as president.
- A primary concern of his is to find solutions to increased flooding issues on the South Shore. He supports working with local government leaders to find ways to reduce flooding, including drainage and revegetation of wetlands. "It has to be a multi-pronged approach," he said.
- Mazzarella said he strongly supports the upcoming Forge River sewer project, which will bring a new sewage treatment plant and sewers to homes in the Mastic area.
- He also supports new police-community relations initiatives, including one for the Seventh Precinct in his district called Park, Walk and Talk, that brings the face of local officers to businesses and community members.