BRETT G. SURERUS
- Surerus, 42, of Shelter Island, is making his first run for public office. He is also running on the Working Families line. He earned a bachelor's degree in marketing from Nichols College.
- He is a property manager for vacation-home owners and previously worked in commercial banking. He is president of Shelter Island Fireworks, which raises money for the July 4 fireworks show.
- He has served as treasurer to the Island Gift of Life Foundation.
- Surerus said it's important to protect the island's aquifer because the majority of Shelter Island's homes get their water from wells. "We have to be open to new ideas and be ready to take decisive action."
- Affordable housing is a key topic for maintaining the sense of community on Shelter Island, he said.
- "We need to be able to retain and attract young working families to the island," he said. "There's only so much land. We need to be able to work with what we have to accomplish that."