MARIA C. SCHEURING
- Scheuring, 50, is a lawyer in Smithtown whose practice focuses on litigation and musicians’ representation.
- She is also a part-time philosophy lecturer at the Patchogue campus of St. Joseph’s College.
- She earned a bachelor’s degree in communications from Franciscan University of Steubenville and a master’s degree in philosophy from that institution. Her law degree is from Fordham University School of Law.
- Scheuring wants a review of the draft comprehensive plan, particularly regarding apartments. "We do not have the infrastructure at all to support this influx of renters that this current administration is looking for," she said.
- She would try to stop an application to subdivide the Gyrodyne property in St. James for uses like a hotel and medical offices, citing added traffic and other adverse impacts to surrounding neighborhoods.
- She would create a new position, director of industry, to promote the Long Island Innovation Park at Hauppauge and downtown retail districts. New businesses would bring "good-paying jobs and people that contribute to our tax base," she said.