Watch our video on Town of Hempstead election issues
- Peña, 35, of Freeport, is seeking her first term on the Hempstead Town Board.
- She is a financial analyst who also owns a landscaping company and a delicatessen.
- She has a bachelor’s in business administration from Baruch College.
- Peña said she would work to address a housing shortage in Hempstead, though she wants more local control than she said would have been allowed under a statewide proposal by Gov. Kathy Hochul.
- She said she wants more outreach and transparency about Las Vegas Sands’ proposed $4 billion casino-resort at the site of the Nassau Coliseum, especially regarding issues like traffic and air quality.
- She said she would push the town to hire staff veterinarians at the municipal animal shelter, a move she said would result in better care for the animals there.