CATHERINE L. STARK
- Stark, 60, of Riverhead, who has worked in Suffolk County government since 1996, is seeking the 1st Legislative District seat.
- Stark worked most recently as chief of staff for Legis. Al Krupski (D-Cutchogue), who is not seeking reelection.
- She received a bachelor’s in operational management from St. Joseph’s College.
- Environmental issues like land preservation and water quality are the top priority throughout the 1st District, Stark said. She noted the importance of drainage and configuring roads for adequate storm runoff.
- She also said she would push officials to change state law to codify how county sales tax revenue is distributed among county, town and village police departments.
- She advocates for maintaining local control over issues and said she did not support a now-dead proposal from Gov. Kathy Hochul that would have allowed the state to override local codes to build affordable housing.