Tips and numbers you need in a storm

Here’s a list of helpful numbers, websites and tips to get you through a storm.

Electricity and gas

  • Electric outages and downed power lines should be reported to PSEG by calling 800-490-0075 or online by signing in to your PSEG account.

  • Gas leaks should be reported to National Grid by calling the Gas Emergency Line at 800-490-0045.

What you should have

FEMA recommends having a disaster kit that includes:

  • Three-day supply of nonperishable food
  • Three-day supply of water, or 1 gallon of water per person per day
  • Portable, battery-powered radio or television and extra batteries
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • Sanitation and hygiene items, such as moist towelettes and toilet paper
  • Matches and a waterproof container
  • Whistle
  • Extra clothing
  • Kitchen accessories and cooking utensils, including a hand-operated can opener
  • Photocopies of credit and identification cards
  • Cash and coins
  • Special-needs items, such as prescription medications, eyeglasses, contact lens solutions and hearing-aid batteries
  • Items for infants, such as formula, diapers, bottles and pacifiers
  • Other items to meet your family’s needs

Other Tips

  • Fill up vehicles with fuel.
  • Listen to local officials.
  • Pick people to call who are on and off the Island in case you become separated from family members.
  • Never use portable generators indoors, in garages or near open windows

Food Safety

If electrical power is lost:

  • Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold enough for a couple of hours.
  • If it looks like power will be out for more than two to four hours, put refrigerated milk, dairy products, meats, fish, poultry, eggs, gravy, stuffing and leftovers into a cooler surrounded by ice.
  • If the refrigerator was out for more than two to four hours,
  • discard the perishable items.
  • A freezer that is half-full will hold for up to 24 hours; a full freezer for 48 hours. If it appears the power outage will be prolonged, prepare a cooler with ice for freezer items.
  • If the freezer is fairly full and it has been without power for less than 24 hours, food should be safe. Expect a loss of quality with refreezing.
  • Do not eat any food that may have come into contact with floodwater. If in doubt, discard it.
  • Do not eat food packed in plastic, paper, cardboard, cloth and similar containers that have been water-damaged.
  • Discard food and beverage containers with screw-caps, snap lids, crimped caps (soda bottles), twist caps, flip tops and home-canned foods if they have come in contact with floodwater. These containers cannot be disinfected.

Nassau contacts

  • North Hempstead:
    Call 311 or 516-TOWN-311 (516-869-6311) for a service representative or go to
  • Hempstead:
    Call 516-489-5000 or visit
  • Oyster Bay:
    Go to or call highway department to report downed trees at 516-677-5757.
  • City of Glen Cove:
    Go to or call the Department of Public Works at 516-676-4402.
  • City of Long Beach:
    Visit or call City Hall at 516-431-1000.

Suffolk contacts

  • Babylon:
    Visit or call the public safety department at 631-422-7600 to report downed trees.
  • Brookhaven:
    Call the highway department at 631-451-9200 to report downed trees or visit
  • East Hampton:
    Go to or call the highway department to report roadway obstructions at 631-324-0925.
  • Huntington:
    Visit or call its 24-hour emergency number, 631-271-6573, or for downed trees, 631-499-0444.
  • Islip:
    Visit or call 631-224-5600 to report downed trees or power lines.
  • Riverhead:
    Call the storm hotline at 631-727-3200 or visit
  • Smithtown:
    Call the Public Safety Department at 631-360-7553.
  • Southampton:
    Go to or call 631-283-6000.
  • Southold:
    Visit or call 631-765-1800.
  • Shelter Island:
    Visit or call 631-749-0291.